Trump Scaled Back The Drills. North Korea Fired 10 Missiles Anyway
Kim Jong Un Raises The Stakes After Trump Scales Back US Military Exercises
Trump Tried To Calm Kim Jong Un — North Korea Answered
Donald Trump made one of the clearest conciliatory gestures towards North Korea since returning to the White House. He ordered the United States to substantially scale back a major military exercise with South Korea, shortened the drills and openly talked about his strong personal relationship with Kim Jong Un.
North Korea's answer came almost immediately. Around 10 short-range ballistic missiles were launched from the Pyongyang region towards the waters east of the Korean Peninsula, an extraordinary demonstration of how difficult Trump's attempt to revive his personal diplomacy with Kim could become.
Trump Gave North Korea Something It Has Wanted For Years
The original Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise was supposed to last 11 days. It is one of the central annual tests of whether American and South Korean forces can operate together during a major crisis or war on the Korean Peninsula.
Trump ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce American participation. The exercise was shortened to five days and some field training was reduced, turning what had been designed as a substantial demonstration of allied readiness into something considerably smaller.
Trump has long disliked expensive American military exercises overseas. But this decision also had an unmistakable diplomatic dimension.
The president has repeatedly emphasised his relationship with Kim Jong Un and has signalled that he wants to meet the North Korean leader again. Trump has said he expects another meeting, reopening the possibility of the extraordinary summit diplomacy that defined part of his first presidency.
North Korea therefore received something tangible before agreeing to return to negotiations: a reduction in military activity it has complained about for decades.
It was not enough.
North Korea's Response Was Around 10 Ballistic Missiles
South Korea detected approximately 10 short-range ballistic missiles launched from around Pyongyang at roughly 5pm local time on Thursday.
The missiles travelled approximately 300 kilometres before falling into North Korea's eastern waters.
South Korea increased surveillance following the launches and coordinated with the United States and Japan. Seoul's national security authorities also convened an emergency meeting.
The launches violated longstanding United Nations restrictions on North Korean ballistic missile activity.
Their timing was impossible to ignore.
They came after Washington had already reduced the scale of an exercise that North Korea consistently condemns as preparation for an invasion.
That does not prove the missiles were a direct retaliation for Trump's decision. North Korea routinely uses missile testing for military development, training, deterrence and political signalling simultaneously.
But politically, the sequence sends an unmistakable message: simply making the exercises smaller will not be enough to satisfy Pyongyang.
Kim Yo Jong Had Already Told Trump It Wasn't Enough
Kim Yo Jong, Kim Jong Un's powerful sister and one of the regime's most important voices on relations with Washington and Seoul, had already dismissed the reduction.
Her argument was effectively that reducing the size or duration of an exercise does not change its fundamental purpose.
North Korea continues to regard the American military presence in South Korea and joint allied exercises as evidence of a hostile US policy.
That creates a much larger problem for Trump.
If Washington believes reducing individual exercises can unlock negotiations while Pyongyang believes the entire strategic relationship between America and South Korea must change, the two sides are negotiating at completely different levels.
Trump is offering adjustments.
North Korea appears to want structural concessions.
But Pyongyang Did Something Very Interesting
There was, however, another message hidden inside North Korea's rejection.
Kim Yo Jong did not destroy the relationship between her brother and Trump.
Quite the opposite.
She made clear that the personal relationship between the two men remained good, even while rejecting the idea that Trump's military concession was sufficient.
That distinction matters enormously.
North Korea could have portrayed Trump as another hostile American president and closed the diplomatic door altogether. Instead, Pyongyang separated the man from American policy.
The message appears to be that Kim Jong Un may still be willing to deal with Trump — but Trump will have to offer considerably more.
That makes the missile barrage look less like the termination of diplomacy and more like bargaining conducted with ballistic missiles in the background.
Kim Jong Un Is In A Stronger Position Than During Trump's First Term
Trump last attempted revolutionary diplomacy with North Korea during his first presidency.
The two leaders met in Singapore in 2018, Hanoi in 2019 and briefly at the Korean Demilitarised Zone later that year.
Nothing comparable had happened between an American president and a North Korean leader.
But the negotiations ultimately failed to produce a comprehensive agreement over sanctions and North Korea's nuclear programme.
The Kim Jong Un facing Trump in 2026 is also operating in a different strategic environment.
North Korea has continued expanding and diversifying its nuclear and missile capabilities. It has developed increasingly sophisticated delivery systems and has repeatedly demonstrated weapons capable of threatening South Korea, Japan and potentially the continental United States.
More importantly, North Korea is less isolated.
Its relationship with Russia has deepened dramatically.
North Korean weapons have been used during Russia's war against Ukraine and North Korean soldiers have gained something Pyongyang previously possessed relatively little of: direct experience of modern industrial warfare.
That experience matters.
American and South Korean commanders have already warned that lessons involving drones, electronic warfare, GPS disruption, battlefield communications and artillery can be taken back to the Korean Peninsula.
The very exercises Trump reduced had been adapting partly to this changing threat.
That creates a difficult contradiction.
Washington wants to reduce military pressure to encourage diplomacy at precisely the moment when North Korea's military may be becoming more capable.
Trump May Be Betting On Personal Diplomacy Again
Trump's strategy is nevertheless understandable.
Decades of sanctions, condemnation, military exercises and diplomatic isolation have failed to eliminate North Korea's nuclear arsenal.
Another confrontation does not automatically produce a better result.
Trump therefore appears willing to test whether his unusual relationship with Kim can achieve something traditional diplomacy has not.
There is a logic to it.
If tensions can be reduced without materially weakening South Korea's defence, lowering the temperature could create space for negotiations. Even an imperfect agreement limiting nuclear testing, missile production or future weapons development could potentially reduce risk.
The danger is the order in which concessions are exchanged.
If North Korea receives reductions in allied military activity before making meaningful concessions of its own, Kim could conclude that escalation creates leverage.
Thursday's launches therefore matter beyond the missiles themselves.
They provide the first major test of whether Trump's conciliatory approach encourages reciprocal restraint or persuades North Korea that Washington is prepared to keep offering more.
South Korea Has Reasons To Be Nervous
For Seoul, this is not an abstract diplomatic experiment.
Around 28,500 American military personnel are stationed in South Korea, and the ability of US and South Korean forces to operate as one integrated military structure is fundamental to deterrence.
Exercises are part of maintaining that ability.
Commanders change. Units rotate. Communications systems evolve. Weapons change. Contingency plans have to be repeatedly tested rather than simply stored for an emergency.
Reducing exercises does not suddenly make the alliance incapable of defending South Korea.
But permanently reducing realistic training could gradually affect readiness, particularly if the North Korean threat continues evolving at the same time.
There is also a political problem.
If decisions about exercises become bargaining chips in Trump's relationship with Kim, Seoul could fear that decisions central to South Korean security are increasingly being negotiated through Washington and Pyongyang rather than with South Korea itself.
That possibility has haunted previous attempts at US-North Korean summit diplomacy.
China And Russia Will Be Watching Closely
The implications extend beyond the Korean Peninsula.
China has long opposed military developments that increase the American strategic footprint near its borders. Anything that reduces major US-led exercises can therefore align with Beijing's preference for lower American military pressure in northeast Asia.
Russia has even clearer reasons to support an increasingly independent North Korea.
The Moscow-Pyongyang relationship now links European and Asian security far more tightly than before.
North Korea can provide Russia with ammunition, weapons and manpower. Russia can potentially provide North Korea with money, energy, technological assistance and military knowledge.
That gives Kim alternatives he did not possess during Trump's original summit diplomacy.
North Korea once had powerful incentives to seek American sanctions relief because its international isolation was so severe.
It now has greater room to manoeuvre.
Trump may consequently discover that recreating the spectacle of 2018 is easier than recreating the leverage Washington held in 2018.
The Biggest Question Is What Kim Actually Wants
North Korea's fundamental position has changed.
Washington historically approached negotiations around the eventual denuclearisation of North Korea.
Pyongyang increasingly presents its nuclear weapons as permanent.
That gap is enormous.
If Kim insists that the United States must effectively accept North Korea as a nuclear-armed state before a new diplomatic relationship can emerge, Trump faces an uncomfortable choice.
He can reject that position and risk another diplomatic stalemate.
Or he can explore arms-control-style negotiations that attempt to restrict an arsenal without immediately eliminating it.
The second option may be more realistic, but it would also amount to a profound change in American policy.
It could have repercussions in Seoul and Tokyo, where governments must calculate whether the US nuclear umbrella remains sufficient protection against an increasingly sophisticated North Korean arsenal.
The Missiles May Be The Opening Bid
The easiest interpretation of the latest launch is that Trump's concession failed.
That may ultimately prove correct.
But North Korea's behaviour leaves another possibility.
Pyongyang has rejected the size of Trump's opening offer without rejecting Trump himself.
That is classic leverage-building.
Kim Jong Un knows the American president wants another summit. He knows Trump believes their personal relationship can unlock an agreement. He also knows North Korea is militarily stronger and diplomatically less isolated than it was during their previous negotiations.
Launching missiles while preserving the personal relationship increases pressure without completely closing the negotiating channel.
The coming decisions from Washington will therefore be more revealing than Thursday's launch.
If Trump responds by restoring military pressure, the attempt at renewed diplomacy could quickly stall.
If he offers further concessions, Pyongyang may conclude that refusing the first offer worked.
And if Kim eventually agrees to another summit, the crucial issue will not be whether the two leaders shake hands again.
It will be what the United States has already surrendered to get him into the room — and what North Korea is actually prepared to give in return.

